SF Gate recently published an article titled Why people love to hate Californians with fifty plus images and taglines. For the most part, the reasons were silly, such as because of their great food, surfing, laid-back attitude and so on. However, there were a few truthful reveals as well, which I thought might make for some good discussion topics. Let’s look at what I’ve chosen as the top five reasons pulled from their list.
- “We turn actors into politicians.”
While it’s true that a lot of politicians were thespians or actors at some point, it’s doubtful that California was actually responsible for the career change. It’s more likely they had the funding to be able to afford to run for office and wanted to make a difference in their hometown areas. Here are a few of the most notable actor-turned-politicians for the state:
- Number one on the list would probably be former president Ronald Regan who was the governor of California from 1967 to 1975 before claiming the Oval Office.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, the “Governator,” held the office from 2003 to 2011 and made a lot of citizens angry when he pushed to allow illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses.
- Who doesn’t love Dirty Harry? Clint Eastwood, one of the most iconic western action stars and all-around bad ass became the mayor of Carmel-by-the-Sea from 1986-1988.
- Salvatore Phillip “Sonny” Bono went from his duet career with former wife Cher to the mayor of Palm Springs from 1988 to 1992. In 1995, he became a state congressman until he passed away in 1998.
- “We think we’re the center of the universe,” and “We’re rude, smug and entitled.”
Were truer words ever spoken? Just look at the state’s governor, Jerry Brown. He has got to be one of the smuggest and entitled people of the state, expecting the rest of the country to follow California’s rules and idiotic logic.
- “San Francisco is also home to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which some vilified for stopping Trump’s travel ban.”
Yes, that is a good reason to have ill feelings towards the state. With terrorism a major and valid concern in our country, it is only prudent to take steps to protect ourselves. The left acts as if President Trump’s travel ban is the first of its kind, when in fact several former presidents and administrations had similar bans and restrictions.
- “We can’t have a conservative commenter speak in Berkeley without a protest breaking out.”
Liberty Nation has covered numerous stories on this very topic. Berkeley, or more fondly known as “Berserkley,” University has always been a school known for liberal practices, free-speech and protest marches. However, the school is better known now for its numerous attempts (and success) in prohibiting free speech when it comes from conservatives. Outspoken conservative Milo Yiannopoulous was run out of Berkeley and not allowed to give his speech. Ann Coulter was denied the opportunity for her speech which caused a lawsuit against the school.
Just to show how far the idiocy of the school’s propensity to protest is, take a look at how “educated students of color” fought against having to take an exam. Their reason was simple: There were too many things going on in the world that made it impossible to concentrate, much less study for a test. Oh, and let’s not forget those who were prepared to take the test were accused of white privilege.
And now, the drum roll, please. Here is the number one reason we love to hate California:
- “To the delight of liberals and displeasure of some conservatives, California lawmakers have been advancing a “sanctuary state” bill.”
Going back to reason number four, the state’s lawmakers think they are above the federal government and expect to make the laws for the rest of the nation. The only state in the nation to become a sanctuary state, officials are beating on the war drums, practically begging for an all-out battle that could very well find them seceding from the Union. To many, this would be a good thing.
Lawmakers are taking the sanctuary status way beyond any glimpse of common sense or logic. Not only have they restricted local and state law enforcement from aiding the federal government in illegal immigration control, they now also allow undocumented aliens to hold state offices.
The Golden State is not so golden any longer. In fact, its brilliance has dimmed and corroded so much that it would be more appropriate to call it the S***hole state, in reference to the president’s alleged remarks about certain countries. Too strong? Doubtful. My home state has become something unrecognizable. The cost of living there is outrageous. The progressive liberal advances are cringe-worthy. The illegal alien population is out of control, and will only continue to grow to disastrous proportions with its new sanctuary status.
Tell us some of the reasons you love to hate California – and some reasons you like it as well – in the comment area.