The ATF has revealed a proposed rule change and is open to public comment until August 19, 2021. This change redefines certain firearm terms to more heavily regulate 80% receivers and pistol frames.
At Liberty Nation, we believe you should have all the facts without the spin. As such, we republish the following Proposed Rule in full. At over 34,000 words, it’s a long read! We hope the following guide will help you navigate:
- Pages 1-6: Section I, Background, including the current federal law and how it has been applied in the past, as well as the ATF’s concerns about tracing firearms in general, Privately Made Firearms, or “Ghost Guns,” specifically, and a few court rulings counter to the ATF’s interpretation of the law.
- Page 7: Section II, Proposed Rule, including changes to the definition of a firearm.
- Page 8: Definition of a frame or receiver and proposed changes.
- Page 9: Definition of a muffler or silencer and proposed changes.
- Page 10: Definition of a split or modular frame or receiver and proposed changes.
- Page 11: Definition of a partially complete, disassembled, or inoperable frame or receiver and proposed changes.
- Page 12: Definitions of destroyed frame or receiver, readily, complete weapon, complete muffler or silencer device, and privately made firearm, as well as proposed changes.
- Page 13: Definitions of importer’s or manufacturer’s serial number and gunsmith, as well as proposed changes.
- Pages 13-16: Marking firearm pieces and muffler/silencer pieces under the new rule.
- Pages 17-19: Record keeping and form changes.
- Pages 20-28: Statutory and executive order review.
- Pages 29-30: Public participation – the precise rules for anyone who wishes to submit a public comment on the proposed rule change.
- Pages 30-50: The actual amendments to federal regulations that will be implemented.
- Pages 51-62: Footnotes.
ATF Rule Change by Liberty Nation on Scribd
All opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Liberty Nation.
Do you have an opinion about this article? We’d love to hear it! If you send your comments to [email protected], we might even publish your edited remarks in our new feature, LN Readers Speak Out. Remember to include the title of the article along with your name, city, and state.
Please respect our republishing guidelines. Republication permission does not equal site endorsement. Click here
Liberty Nation Today:
Will DEI Ban Make It to Gov Greg Abbott’s Desk This Session? - If it becomes law, opponents of the bill say the money will dry up for higher education in the Lone Star State. - Read Now!
Is the Debt Ceiling Drama Finally Over? - A chorus of Democrats and Republicans have concerns. - Read Now!
Memorial Day Stands Above the Noise - Americans’ sacrifice for nation and families is more valuable than the background noise of controversy. - Read Now!
Liberty Lampoon - Cartoonist Tom Stiglich will make your day. - Read Now!
Americans Grow Poorer Under the Biden Administration - New survey reports nearly 90 million Americans struggling to make ends meet. - Read Now!