During its halcyon years, the Democratic Party can be credited with having achieved great things for America. The Civil Rights era of the 1960s comes to mind as a time when the clarion call sounded from the American left to make right what had been so wrong for so long. Drafting the brave example of Martin Luther King Jr. and his quiet strength, the Democrats helped accomplish an inarguable good, expiating the sins of their forefathers and banishing the ghosts of the darkest periods of their remembered past – including their opposition to the abolition of slavery and the establishment of the Ku Klux Klan.
No matter that their gimlet-eyed sincerity during these salad days often resulted in well-intentioned legislation riven with unintended consequences, such as the Great Society programs, which would millstone generations of inner-city minorities with the decidedly mixed blessings of the welfare state. At least, it could be argued, in contrast to their reputed bloodless, unfeeling colleagues across the aisle, the Democrats were pure of heart.
In 2020, with a hot crush on Wall Street and a platform that opposes school choice for inner-city minorities, the Democrats seem to have Freaky Fridayed the Republicans, who have delivered historically low unemployment for African Americans and Hispanics and enacted criminal justice reform. The weird science that seems to have wholly reconstituted the DNA of the Democratic Party has either distorted it grotesquely, like a funhouse mirror, or revealed its true nature in a cold light. Ever since a wide swath of Americans voted the Barbarian King into office to wage war against the elites and the Washington Swamp, Democrats and the progressive left have shown themselves to be vessels of limitless, inchoate rage, bereft of reason.
It’s not a good look.
The thin gruel of the impeachment gambit followed hard on the heels of the DOA Mueller report, while the economy booms and new trade deals are signed. This bodes poorly for progressives for the remainder of this presidential term – and beyond. The trail of policy breadcrumbs that might have led the Democrats out of the political woods has been boot-heeled by the radicalized fringe in control of their current fortunes. Democrats are offering themselves up to be devoured by the electoral witch, in the house of 2020 — once again.
But as the wheels come off the clown car being driven over a political cliff by rouged manikin Representative Adam Schiff (D-CA) and the increasingly erratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), there is no sign of a course correction. In a perpetual fever of loathing for President Trump, the Democratic Party and the American left have jettisoned what once appeared to be genuine sincerity for two intoxications: hatred and its heinous handmaiden, hypocrisy.
Please enjoy an abbreviated Greatest “Hyps” List – courtesy of the Democrats and the American left.
- Special Counsel Robert Mueller spent more than two years and $25 million to determine there was no proof that Donald Trump colluded with foreign nationals to sway the 2016 election in his favor. The investigation began with a “salacious, unverified” document known as the Steele dossier, paid for by the Democratic National Committee and Hillary Clinton, who colluded with a foreign national in order to sway the 2016 election in her favor.
- The climate change cabal will brook no dissent: The science is settled, opposing views are to be ignored, mocked, or quashed, and man-made climate change is going to send the planet into a tailspin if we don’t pump the brakes. But this doesn’t apply to the leftists lecturing us about it, who regularly travel by private jet (1,500 private jets flew into the Davos summit last year), own multiple homes that are huge energy wasters (Al Gore’s Tennessee mansion is 10,000-plus square feet, and Barack Obama’s ocean-front home is 8,000 square feet), and have built a grand total of four energy-efficient buildings in New York City, one of the most progressive cities in the world.
- Common folks are often sermonized by the virtuous left about the gender pay gap, Second Wave feminism’s agenda, women’s rights, and “toxic masculinity.” And yet the lion’s share of people who have been “#metoo-ed” have been prominent Democrats and leftists, including Harvey Weinstein, Matt Lauer, Al Franken, John Conyers, Kevin Spacey, Charlie Rose, Louis CK, John Lasseter, Russell Simmons, Jeffrey Epstein, and Mark Halperin, to name a few. And lest we forget, the party that champions women’s rights threw Juanita Broaddrick under the bus for her highly credible claims of rape against President Bill Clinton, and regularly savaged Sarah Huckabee Sanders’ weight, looks, accent, and intelligence in her role as White House press secretary. Additionally, the Women’s March purposely excluded pro-life women.
- During a televised debate in 2012, when Mitt Romney labeled Russia our major geopolitical foe, President Obama mocked him by quipping, “The ‘80s … they’re now calling to ask for their foreign policy back.” All Democrats chortled in agreement. But just a few years later, in 2016, Russia had become such an ominous threat to America that a two-year investigation was undertaken at the behest of Democrats to determine how badly it had undermined our election and to what extent Trump was in collusion with the Russians to win the 2016 election. (Spoiler alert: rarely and not at all.)
- During the impeachment hearings in the House, Democrats urged that the process be expedited, as the president was a grave “national security threat.” Once the overreaching was done, and the Schiff Show ended, however, the urgency suddenly vanished. After waiting an entire month, and being humiliatingly outflanked by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), Pelosi finally held the House vote to send the two articles of impeachment against the president to the Senate. Grave and urgent have never looked so obtuse and deliberate.
And now: a lightning round of progressive hypocrisies.
- Hollywood and Democratic elites like to lecture America about guns and the Second Amendment – and yet employ thousands of bodyguards and private security with guns to keep them safe.
- Leftist athletes and coaches such as Colin Kaepernick, LeBron James, Steve Kerr, and Gregg Popovich unendingly telegraph how “woke” they are, while their sports rake in millions from shoes made in Nike factories in China, one of the worst human-rights abusers on the planet.
- Leftists went full outrage when conservative journalist Megyn Kelly referenced blackface as something she did on Halloween as a kid — a comment for which she lost her job as a talk-show host. But the same hair-on-fire hysterics just shrugged when blackface photographs of card-carrying leftists such as Virginia Governor Ralph Northam and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau emerged, neither of whom lost their jobs.
- Insufferable CNN lefties Don Lemon and Chris Cuomo both lambasted Trump for tweeting a critique of teenager Greta Thunberg but gleefully joined the melee against teenager Nick Sandman during the Covington scandal, a Fourth Estate shame-fest that cost CNN millions.
- Eric Holder, the only Attorney General ever held in contempt by a federal judge, stated he was “Obama’s wingman” but argued that current AG William Barr is “unfit to lead the Justice Department.”
The big takeaway?
Virtue-signaling leftists typically are guilty of the very thing of which they accuse others, which is the very essence of hypocrisy. Unable to confront the tar pits of their own dark, psychic morass, progressives often project their own moral deficiencies and inferiorities onto those with whom they disagree.
So, will the Democratic Party, the American left, and much of the Fourth Estate ever take ownership of their legendary hypocrisies in the era of President Donald Trump?
Sure, they will.
When Bigfoot signs his endorsement deal with Nike.