Welcome to Liberty Nation’s Daily Snapshot. All the top news of the day, the latest polls, and more.
What’s happening in the political sphere – the hot stories making the news today.
- Longtime White House official and conservative lawyer Brooke Rollins will oversee the president’s domestic agenda as the newly appointed acting director of the Domestic Policy Council.
- President Trump will recognize Memorial Day at Fort McHenry National Monument and Historic Shrine in Baltimore.
- Advocacy groups and medical experts across the country are calling for governors to release more inmates due to Coronavirus concerns. Which states will comply?
- If Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has his way, the expanded unemployment benefits passed as part of March’s $2.2 trillion Coronavirus relief bill will not be included in the next package passed by Congress.
The latest polls and trends impacting the United States.
- Two-thirds of Americans do not expect their daily lives to return to normal for at least six months, and as states reopen, three-quarters are concerned that a second wave of coronavirus cases will emerge, a new NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll finds.
- The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds Biden earning 48% support among likely U.S. voters to Trump’s 43%. 8% remain undecided.
- 54% believe Trump should release his tax returns to congressional Democrats, up from 51% a year ago. 38% disagree.
Something political to ponder as you enjoy your morning coffee.
Senate Republicans issued their first subpoena on Wednesday as part of wide-ranging investigations tied to the Obama administration. The Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee voted along party lines to issue a subpoena for Blue Star Strategies, a firm with ties to Ukrainian gas company Burisma Holdings. What intriguing Biden secrets might this dig up? Democrats are furious, of course. As it turns out, they don’t like investigations into presidential candidates after all – at least not when it’s their guy.
A thought for the day from history’s most interesting thinkers.
Since a politician never believes what he says, he is quite surprised to be taken at his word.
– Charles de Gaulle
Remember, you can get our Full Daily Briefing straight to your inbox – Click Here to Get a Copy.