Welcome to Liberty Nation’s Daily Snapshot. All the top news of the day, the latest polls, and more.
What’s happening in the political sphere – the hot stories making the news today.
- According to an April 24 report from the Associated Press, the Democratic National Committee and Joe Biden’s campaign have signed a joint fundraising pact. The main takeaway from this is that Biden’s nomination is now practically set in stone. The many social media rumors that the DNC would hand the nomination to someone else at the eleventh hour can be laid to rest, it seems.
- American Bridge 21st Century, a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization, has spent millions of dollars on political ads, in a possible violation of its tax-exempt status, according to a complaint filed with the IRS. American Bridge was founded by progressive political operative David Brock, who also founded Media Matters for America.
- As if it were not already apparent that Democrats will not accept a Trump 2020 victory, failed Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams has refused to concede in advance. CNN’s Jake Tapper asked Abrams on April 26 whether her party would accept defeat if Trump wins in November. “First of all, I refuse to concede that will happen,” Abrams responded. It’s worth noting that Abrams has also still not conceded to the man who beat her to the Georgia governor’s seat in 2018.
The latest polls and trends impacting the United States.
- The majority of likely U.S. voters agree with President Trump’s decision to place a temporary freeze on immigration. 82% of Republicans think Americans should be first in line for jobs when businesses start hiring again. 53% of Democrats disagree. Of unaffiliated voters, 53% support the immigration hold.
- Democrat Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut recently made the outlandish claim that China was in no way to blame for the Coronavirus pandemic and that it was, in fact, all Trump’s fault. 60% of likely Democrat voters agree with Murphy. 71% of Republicans and a majority of unaffiliated voters – 46% to 39% – do not agree.
- A new University of Michigan survey of consumer sentiment appears to reflect the uniqueness of the current situation. The survey records how Americans feel about current economic conditions against how they view future economic conditions. For decades, the two paths have tracked closely but, now, they are very different – which is probably understandable, given the circumstances. While consumers are very pessimistic about the current economic climate, they maintain optimism for the future.
Something political to ponder as you enjoy your morning coffee.
A new antibody study from Stanford University presented five principle facts dispelling the argument that the restrictions currently in place across most of the United States are not only unnecessary but probably counterproductive. The study found that forcing people to isolate themselves delayed the attainment of population immunity – also known as “herd immunity” – which is the key to flattening the spread of viruses. Another critical fact is the actual mortality rate of the infection, which, even in New York City, is practically zero among those under 18 and 0.01% among those aged 18 to 45. What if this entire shutdown strategy was a mistake, then? As the nation returns to normal, expect a concerted effort to prevent the spread of any data contradicting the current sentiment. For, if ever a majority of Americans conclude that these restrictions were unnecessarily draconian, the political class will never again be able to achieve near-total control over the populace in the name of “it’s for your own good.”
A thought for the day from history’s most interesting thinkers.
I weep for the liberty of my country when I see at this early day of its successful experiment that corruption has been imputed to many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office.
– Andrew Jackson
Remember, you can get our Full Daily Briefing straight to your inbox – Click Here to Get a Copy.
Stay On Top of the Latest Conservative News
Sign Up for Free
Join Our MemberZone for $29.99/yr
Remember to check out the web’s best conservative news aggregator Whatfinger.com -- the #1 Alternative to the Drudge
Also check out newcomer ConservativeNewsDirect.com