It appears Disney stepped in it when its leadership decided to involve themselves in the debate over Florida’s Parental Rights in Education law. The company not only opposed the notion that teachers should not instruct small children on gender identity and sexuality, but it was also revealed that at least some high-ranking employees seek to further infuse its content with far-left progressive values. A brand spanking new poll showed Americans are none too happy with the home of Mickey Mouse at the moment and could be looking into other entertainment options for their little ones.
A Trafalgar Group survey conducted April 4 – 8 found that almost 70 percent of likely voters indicated they would be less likely to do business with Disney after reports surfaced showing the company plans to promote “queerness” in its children’s content.
The survey asked participants, “News reports reveal Disney is focusing on creating content to expose young children to sexual ideas. Does this make you more or less likely to do business with Disney?”
The responses were overwhelmingly against the company, with 57.2 percent saying they were “much less likely” and 11 percent saying “less likely” to continue doing business with Disney. This is a total of 68.2 percent. A paltry 9.4 percent said the revelations would make them more likely to support the organization, while 22.5 percent said they had no opinion on the matter.
Even more striking is how the survey’s findings fell along party lines. The poll showed that 85.3 percent of Republicans are less likely to continue doing business with the company. About 72.5 of Independents said the same, while 48.2 percent of Democrats agreed.
In March, journalist Chris Rufo posted several clips from the company’s “Reimagine Tomorrow” meeting on Twitter. In one video, Latoya Raveneau, executive producer for Disney Television Animation, proudly declared the organization is promoting a “not-at-all-secret gay agenda” in its programming.
It is abundantly clear that in embracing wokeism, Disney has gone against the majority of its customer base. Oddly enough, it turns out that Americans do not want their children’s entertainment to push so-called progressive ideas about sexuality and gender identity on their kids. Even worse, polling has also revealed that the majority of Americans – Democrats included – supported the supposedly more controversial elements of Florida’s bill, which further illustrates how out of touch the company has become.
But will any of this matter?
Sure, most people are not on board with the progressive agenda in children’s programming. But will Americans truly seek out other options as the poll suggests? Disney has become a behemoth in children’s entertainment and owns some of the most well-known franchises in American culture. Parents may not take their kids to the company’s theme parks, but are they really willing to give up Star Wars, Marvel, DC Comics, and other properties the company owns? It is possible, but it seems unlikely.
Disney does not stand to lose much from allowing the far left to dictate what it presents to its audience – at least not currently. They might forge ahead, thinking that parents will still take their kids to see their movies and subscribe to their streaming service – and they might be right.
Of course, the opposite is also possible. Perhaps the outcry will die down soon. But when Disney actually starts including sexuality and gender identity aggressively, it might prompt parents to act. It is one thing to discuss these matters in the national conversation. It is quite another thing when people can see with their own eyes what these folks seek to transmit into the minds of their children.
Either way, it appears Disney might be taking a more cautious approach, at least in public. Since its war of words with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over the bill, the company has not launched any more attacks against him or those supporting the law. Perhaps it might also be considering walking back its plan to inculcate kids with progressive ideology.