web analytics

LN Poll Results: Oil, Gun Laws, and National Security

Liberty Nation readers have weighed in with their opinions.

by | Jun 24, 2022 | Articles, Opinion, Politics

We asked and you answered: This week’s poll results are in.  Will a defense deal with Saudi Arabia impact our national security? Will Republican support of gun control affect the November midterms? Liberty Nation readers have weighed in with their opinions.

Will President Biden offering a “defense pact” to Saudi Arabia in return for oil access impact American national security?

Result:

  • Yes: 58%
  • Depends on the Details: 42%

Joe Biden’s presidency has been wishy-washy at best. We have seen the president go full bluster on some things only to turn around and reverse his stance – think of some of former President Donald Trump’s immigration policies that Biden first eliminated and then reinstated as the border crisis continues to escalate. We’ve also witnessed the commander-in-chief’s determination to kill America’s oil pipelines, and then beg Saudi Arabia to lower prices.

New Banner LN POll bannerThe pain at the pump is costing Americans up to $7 a gallon in some areas of the country, and it doesn’t look like gas prices are going down any time soon. So, now that Biden is visiting Saudi Arabia next month to discuss, among other things, what can be done to ease the supply strain for the US, people wonder whether his sudden reversal on working with someone he referred to as a criminal will impact America’s national security. Liberty Nation poll-takers seemed conflicted as well with only 58% saying Biden’s defense pact will cause issues while the other 42% think it will depend on the details of the plans.

With the murder of Jamal Khashoggi in mind, the president had vowed not to work with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (MBS), and has so far only dealt with the father, King Salman, who, at 86, is suffering from health issues. However, MBS is expected to attend the summit which has drawn criticism. But a spokesperson for the White House defended the decision, saying MBS is only one of the attendees from Saudi Arabia.

Biden is in a tough spot because of his pledge to make MBS pay for his alleged part in Khashoggi’s murder but now finds himself in desperate need of oil for the US. Banning Russia from providing oil just compounds the issue. And then there’s the concern that China, Russia, and Saudi Arabia are getting a little too chummy, which could lead to even more import/export issues.

Still, there are some who argue the president should not back down and that we should not cater to a country that viciously murdered a Saudi dissident and still does not meet our standards of humanity. “I’m sure we’ll raise that issue,” remarked Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm. She added:

“But he’s also very concerned about what people are experiencing at the pump, and Saudi Arabia is head of OPEC, and we need to have increased production so that everyday citizens in America will not be feeling this pain that they’re feeling right now. So all around the world is asking for people to increase production, but especially our own oil and gas producers.”

Will Republican support of the new gun control bill in the Senate impact the November midterms?

Result:

  • Yes: 68%
  • Some: 22%
  • A little: 5%
  • No: 5%

Only ten Republicans were needed to pass the new gun control bill, but 14 supported it. While the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act bill is milder than what the Dems had hoped for, it does provide for some concerning measures, such as mental health background checks, especially for those under the age of 21 and money for the implementation of “red flag laws” at the state level.

GOP support for the bill may have an impact on the November midterms, as 68% of our poll takers believe. With the recent mass school shooting in Uvalde, TX, the public outcry for stricter gun control seems louder than ever. So much so, that even some Republicans feel there need to be some changes.

Although an earlier LN poll showed that most of our readers think the economy will be the biggest issue come November (68%), gun control came in third in the top hot points for the midterms.

Thank you for participating in our poll. To see previous poll results, go here.

Read More From Kelli Ballard

Latest Posts

For Better or Worse, Biden Doubles Down on DACA

President Joe Biden announced two new executive actions this week to grant relief to illegal immigrants. During a...

Testing the Biggest Joe Biden 2024 Rumor

With the general election less than five months away, and as most of the nation considers the consequential...