Welcome to Liberty Nation’s Daily Snapshot. All the top news of the day, the latest polls, and more.
What’s happening in the political sphere – the hot stories making the news today.
- Squad member, Representative Ilhan Omar, has stated that she believes Tara Reade’s accusation against former VP Joe Biden. However, it seems she is still willing to support him in his efforts to beat President Trump.
- Joe Biden is on the cusp of making the biggest gamble in his campaign as he tries to position himself as the candidate who can rebuild the economy.
- President Trump has signed an executive order that encourages the rolling back or cutting of regulations that could hamper the economic recovery. It looks like court challenges will be made every step of the way with opponents arguing that the president must demonstrate how the Coronavirus directly impacts each regulation.
- Gretchen Whitmer, the governor of Michigan and possible Biden running mate, has come under fire. On the one hand, she has instructed folks not to “descend” on her state during the Memorial Day weekend, and on the other, her husband is trying to use his wife’s clout to get their boat out of the water in time for the celebrations.
The latest polls and trends impacting the United States.
- 58% of likely U.S. voters approve of Trump’s decision to temporarily limit government regulation of small businesses to help them bounce back. Just 26% are opposed to these measures.
- Polling from Rasmussen suggests that voters feel Biden will do a better job bringing back the economy after the Coronavirus crisis passes. Could this be behind the Biden campaign’s moves to paint him as an economic reformer?
- The latest betting odds suggest that Joe Biden will win the popular vote but lose the election with President Trump still being favorite to take the most Electoral College votes.
Something political to ponder as you enjoy your morning coffee.
We are all familiar with the legal maxim: Justice delayed is justice denied. British Prime Minister William Gladstone first popularized it in the 1800s. Yet it appears that Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN) is ready to put her own spin on the classic. “Justice can be delayed but should never be denied,” she told the Sunday Times newspaper while explaining that although she believes Tara Reade’s accusations against Joe Biden, she will still be supporting his bid for the presidency. When, in her opinion, should such justice be served? After he is elected? After he has left office? Or as soon as whatever progressive running mate he has foisted upon him gets (presumably) her feet under the desk? When a politician is willing to put in office someone they believe to be a sexual assaulter, we have to ask ourselves if there is any decency or sanity left in the Swamp.
A thought for the day from history’s most interesting thinkers.
Politics: A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles. The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
– Ambrose Bierce
Remember, you can get our Full Daily Briefing straight to your inbox – Click Here to Get a Copy.