Welcome to Liberty Nation’s Daily Snapshot. All the top news of the day, the latest polls, and more.
What’s happening in the political sphere – the hot stories making the news today.
- CA Governor Gavin Newsom has reached a deal with Chinese manufacturer BYD to supply millions of facemasks. However, he remains cagey on what the exact details of the contract are. During a budget oversight meeting, Newsom refused to provide state senators with a copy of the agreement. Why the secrecy?
- The president has signed a proclamation limiting some forms of immigration to the United States over the next 60 days to give American workers the best chance of gaining employment as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted.
- A Los Angeles judge has ruled against three churches who sought to hold in-person services, stating that Gov. Newsom’s orders did not violate the First Amendment rights to freedom of religion and freedom of assembly.
- Senator Ed Markey (D-MA), an online privacy advocate, said in a letter that any digital contact tracing should be voluntary, transparent and collect only the information needed to identify who might be at risk of contracting the Coronavirus.
The latest polls and trends impacting the United States.
- A new poll by Ipsos gives Joe Biden the lead in key battleground states, including Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania. However, polling during the same period in 2016 also gave Hillary Clinton a solid advantage over Trump.
- Florida wants to keep enforcing social distancing until at least May, according to a Quinnipiac survey. The polling is being used as a cudgel against Governor DeSantis, suggesting he is out of step with his voters … but reopening the economy AND maintaining social distancing are not mutually exclusive.
- Voters feel that both President Trump and Nancy Pelosi would do roughly the same job in handling the Coronavirus crisis. Most voters think that Trump would put country before party in dealing with the virus.
- Only 36% of voters favor giving Coronavirus relief funds to illegal immigrants. 50% don’t want this to happen.
Something political to ponder as you enjoy your morning coffee.
During election season, polling becomes far less a tool for analysis and more a weapon of war to be wielded against an opponent. As in 2016, battleground states are being extensively polled in the hopes of garnering electoral ammunition. And just like in the last election, the polling doesn’t always represent the truth. After three years of calling Trump supporters racist and stupid, does the media expect all those who support the president to admit it? We have all heard the stories of families being torn apart over political differences; this situation appears no different. The danger for Joe Biden is that he, like Hillary Clinton, starts to believe his own polling.
A thought for the day from history’s most interesting thinkers.
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.
– Mark Twain
Remember, you can get our Full Daily Briefing straight to your inbox – Click Here to Get a Copy.
Liberty Nation Today:
A Sneak Peek
BREAKING: Trump Org. Companies Convicted of Tax Fraud - Was it a political witch hunt or justice served? - Read Now!
The Battle for Georgia: Senate Tiemaker or Tiebreaker? - Democrats hope to create a true majority, while Republicans fight to overcome midterm disappointment. - Read Now!
Loudoun County Public Schools Hit With Damning Grand Jury Report - VA school board badly mishandled an alleged sexual assault – and it only got worse from there. - Read Now!
Beware the Return of the Obama Economy - Obamanomics might make a return after the next recession. - Read Now!
Girl Scout Brownies Are Racist? Time to Rebrand - Canadian Girl Scouts say the name is preventing some girls from joining. - Read Now!